WORKING ON AFFIRMATIVE STATEMENTS
Complete the paragraph with was or were:
Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.) --------- a great Greek military leader. His birthplace --------- Pella, the ancient capital of Macedonia. Alexander´s parents --------- Philip II, king of Macedonia, and Olympias, a princess of Epirus. His teacher -------- the philosopher Aristotle. As a king and general, Alexander --------- very popular with his soldiers. They ------
very loyal to him. By 323 B.C., countries from Turkey to Afghanistan ------- under his control. At the time of his death, Alexander ------- only 33 years old.
The facts below are false. Correct each one by rewriting it as a negative statement. Then use the word or prhase in parentheses to write a true affirmative statement.
Example: The pharaohs were generals. (kings)
The pharaohs weren´t generals. They were kings.
1. Cleopatra was a Persian general. (Egyptian queen)
2. Columbus was a lawyer. (explorer)
3. Picasso and Rembrandt were astronomers. (artists)
4. William Shakespeare was a French writer. (English)
5. Cervantes was an American inventor. (Spanish writer)
6. Marie Curie and Albert Einstein were doctors. (scientists)
7. Beethoven was a German king. (composer)